"Apple Inc.'s net zero target is to achieve carbon neutrality for its entire carbon footprint by 2030, covering scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions. Net Zero Tracker This is equivalent to a 62% reduction in emissions relative to 2019. Net Zero Tracker The company has already achieved carbon neutrality for its corporate operations since April 2020.
Net Zero Tracker An interesting fact about Apple's environmental policy is that they use nature-based solutions to remove the remainder of their emissions and work with independent auditors to verify their impact. Net Zero Tracker In addition, you can check out the …"
Carbon emissions are estimated according to comparable years, intensity and sector
Performance vs. Target
Note: Targets without baseline are ignored. In case several targets
exist, only the shorter-term target is
Value Chain (scope 3) Emissions by Category
Emissions Trajectory (Full Scopes)
Please refer to the library for viewing the supporting documentation
Note: Latest GHG and revenue data (based on tradingview.com) are used to calculate GHG
emissions intensity by sector. The color scale of each bubble depends on the GHG intensity (GHG emissions per 1
million USD revenue).
Sectors follow the Global Industry Classification Standard (GICS) that organize companies based on their primary
business activities. The 11 sectors are : Information Technology, Health Care, Financials, Consumer
Discretionary, Communication Services, Industrials, Consumer Staples, Energy, Utilities, Real Estate, and
Apple Inc. belongs to the sector Information Technology.
Apple Inc. is a member of the Business Ambition for 1.5 campaign (link here )
Apple, Inc. commits to reduce absolute combined scope 1, 2 and 3 GHG emissions 62% by FY2030 from a FY2019 base year. Apple also commits to continue annually sourcing 100% renewable electricity through FY2030.* *The target boundary includes biogenic emissions and removals from bioenergy feedstocks.
Separate targets for emission reductions and removals
Conditions on use of offset credits
Must be high environmental integrity
Plans for carbon dioxide removal (CDR)
Yes (nature-based removals e.g. Forestation, soil carbon enhancement)
Additional notes: "For the emissions we can’t avoid, we use high-quality offsets as an interim solution. We’re intentional about identifying avoided deforestation and removal projects that are of the highest standard and that achieve meaningful impact. We often originate our own projects working with a reputable partner, like Conservation International, or we carefully select projects from third-party certified registries." (p28)
Separate target: 75% reduction by 2015 baseline, remove the remaining 25%. "Our 2030 Climate Roadmap aims to reduce our emissions by 75 percent compared with 2015 levels, as well as scale up carbon removal strategies to address the remaining emissions that we can’t yet avoid." (p27)
pp27-28 describe how they invest in their own nature-based removals, in addition to purchasing external offsets.
At least 2 years of GHG emissions for scope 1 and 2 are publicly-available and externally-verified
Scope 3 emissions are fully reported and externally-verified
CDP score demonstrates the level of transparent disclosures
Net Zero Commitments by 2050 include an intermediate target and cover all the emissions
Net Zero targets demonstrate a high-level of emergency
Emission reduction targets on a forward-looking basis are ambitious